Monday, November 7, 2011

Quick Existentialist Thoughts

"I think, therefore I am." This is actually a quote on my wall of quotes. I sort of feel like an ignoramus for not knowing it relates to existentialism up until this class. I always had the idea that nothing ever really was pre-determined. Still, doesn't it make sense? The American Dream is all about being able to do something that you would not otherwise be able to do in another place, to rise up the social ladder, to lead a more fulfilling life. If an American believes that a poor person stays poor and a wealthy person stays wealthy, he/she seems more European than American. Besides, history tells us that rich men die homeless or poor men become world-shaping visionaries. I hate the idea of not being in control of your own life. Flashing back to the middle school, I always think of something a young boy once told me. During the scrub eighth grade superlatives, for whatever reason some persons in my classes voted me for most likely to succeed. It was ridiculous back then, but it was still interesting to see. I was befuddled. Then, when speaking to a very bright young boy (Now in BCA), he said something I was shocked to hear and will never forget. "They voted for you?" Whether he meant any harm I cannot answer, but I was shocked at how a young boy, who was supposed to be "smart," said something of that caliber. That condescending voice really made me think that I was just like the character I manipulated in my Call of Duty games; I was and am the only person in control of myself. It's interesting to think of the idea that others have an impact. They really do not. The only way they do is if you let them. As an existentialist once told me, "Screw everyone else. Do what you want."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete