Saturday, November 12, 2011

Existentialist Thoughts II


This may sound a bit repetitive with respect to my last post, but it is worth noting. Also, I like to write these journal entries as a sort of reminisce to the infamous journals we kept in Ms. Brey freshman and sophomore year. Speaking of Ms. Brey, at the Homecoming Dance, I was speaking to her. We talked about the usual unusual things we talk about, but I would expect nothing less when speaking to one of my past mentors. I asked her what I should do regarding a teacher, and she replied that there is nothing to do. I can fight and try to change him, but I cannot control how he is. After a person has an idea, it can be hard to change his/her standpoints, if not impossible. This may sound like ignorance, but only so if moderation is not introduced. The main point that she was saying, however, is that I am not always in control of others, but I am always in control of myself and myself alone. I must be able to adapt to every and any situation. After reading the statements on Existentialism, this idea that Ms. Brey told me relates to the concept, "In life, I must make choices regardless of what’s best for others. I can only choose what’s best for me." This may sound arrogant or egocentric, but it is nevertheless true. I cannot decide what other people want, nor should I have to. If I did, free will would no longer exist. I know what I want, so I will pursue it. If others do not have the ambition to do what they feel will benefit themselves, then why should I? If I have to help them, they may want to do something that will not benefit me. Is the goal of life not to achieve a sense of pride, or accomplishment? The degree of accomplishment varies from person to person of course, but I think that's what it's all about. If everyone were to make choices to benefit others, where is the motivation to keep living for oneself? If people have nothing to live for, is then, the most authentic moment in life death? That would be the case in a world where people do not motivate and push themselves for more. Yet, that is a world I slowly and fearfully see approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment